Foundation / Corporation
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and Penguin Random House
Awards of $10,000 to USA K-12 teachers to recognize innovative projects that advance literacy and encourage students to become lifelong readers. One award will be given to a teacher who fosters a love of poetry in students and one award will be given to a teacher who inspires students to read all genres of writing.
Nominations will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Teachers who foster a passion and love for reading in students through programs and curriculum that are innovative, original and have measurable success. Innovative can be defined as, but not limited to, multi-media, interdisciplinary or interactive.
- Teachers who take risks in presenting books and literature to students in a unique way.
- Teachers who are committed to reluctant readers and are visionary in their methods of reaching them.
- Teachers who create distinctive programs and activities that support and promote a community of readers beyond the classroom, such as parents, community groups, and nonprofits.
GrantWatch ID#: 174837
One Penguin Random House and NCTE Teacher Award for Lifelong Readers, one Maya Angelou Teacher Award for Poetry, and select honorable mentions
- 1 (one) $10,000 Penguin Random House and NCTE Teacher Award for Lifelong Readers grant award for use by the winning teacher, made payable to Awardee’s school.
- 1 (one) $10,000 Maya Angelou Teacher Award for Poetry designated for programs specifically centered around poetry, made payable to Awardee’s school.
- $2,500 in Penguin Random House titles for Awardees’ respective schools.
- Transportation, lodging, and conference registration for the two Awardees to attend the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, November 21-24, 2019, if not already attending.
- Select honorable mentions will receive Penguin Random House books for their classrooms.
- Multimedia coverage of the winning teachers and schools via the Penguin Random House and NCTE websites, press releases, and newsletters.
These awards are available to full-time or part-time teachers in grades K-12 in the United States.
Submit by Friday, May 31, 2019.
Winners will be notified by Monday, August 5, 2019, and announced at the NCTE Annual Convention in Baltimore, Maryland, November 21-24, 2019.
Official winners’ announcement and press release will be posted by November 30, 2019, at www.foundation.penguinrandomhouse.com/teacherawards and http://www2.ncte.org/awards/
Press release: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/penguin-random-house-prh-and-the-national-council-of-teachers-of-english-ncte-announce-partnership-for-two-10-000-grants-for-teachers-300805902.html?tc=eml_cleartime
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Nominate online: https://tools.eventpower.com/speaker_management/search_user?cfp=true&show_id=1816&_ga=2.262098117.952283968.1554977989-1580161315.1554977989
National Council of Teachers of English
Urbana, IL, Office
1111 W. Kenyon Road
Urbana, IL 61801-1096
Phone: 217-328-3870 or 877-369-6283
Washington DC Office
Hall of the States
444 North Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Contact form: http://www2.ncte.org/contact-us/
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming