Foundation / Corporation
The Herb Block Foundation
08/07/19 5:00 PM Receipt for mail or hand delivery; Midnight for online submittal
Grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 to USA nonprofit organizations for projects that promote increased voter participation and citizen education. Interested applicants are required to submit a Letter of Inquiry prior to the full proposal. Funding is intended to support nonpartisan projects aimed at furthering citizen involvement that will, in turn, ensure a responsive, responsible democratic government.
GrantWatch ID#: 181037
Grants in the range of $5,000 to $25,000 will be considered.
Grants will be considered for one year's funding.
Applicants must be nonprofit organizations classified as 501(c)(3) organizations by the Internal Revenue Service. Applicants may be national.
No more than 10% of a grant may go to indirect costs (outside of those for general operating support).
All projects must be nonpartisan and and may not involve lobbying for specific legislation or candidates.
Grants will not be made for capital or endowment programs, nor for sectarian religious purposes.
- LOI's Due: 6/05/19
- Full Proposal Invited: 7/16/19
- Full Proposal Due: 8/07/19
- Proposed Board Meeting: 9/17/19
Applicant organizations must choose to proceed through the whole application process either via online submission or hard copy.
The Herb Block Foundation uses a two-step process for evaluating grant proposals:
1. Organizations that wish to apply for a grant are required to first submit a Letter of Inquiry.
- Letters of Inquiry must be received by mail or dropped off in The Herb Block Foundation's offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date. (Note: Letters of Inquiry are not accepted via email.)
- Online applications must be submitted by midnight of the deadline date.
2. The Foundation selects projects for further consideration with an invitation for a Full Proposal.
- Those organizations that mailed in a Letter of Inquiry will receive their request for the Full Proposal by mail. The Foundation will then expect a hard copy full proposal.
- Those organizations that submitted a Letter of Inquiry online will receive email notification and a link to the Foundation's Online Full Proposal Application.
Common Grant Application: https://www.washingtongrantmakers.org/common-grant-application
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online Letter of Inquiry: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_2014?SA=SNA&FID=35015
To provide one copy of the Letter of Inquiry via mail or hand delivery, submit to either Marcela Brane (President) or Sarah Alex (Executive Director) at:
The Herb Block Foundation
1730 M Street, NW, Suite 1020
Washington DC 20036
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming